Don’t vomit on your picture, because it is the picture which can vomit on you after you are dead.Salvador Dalí
In 50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship (Dover Fine Art, History of Art), Salvador Dalí lists out ten maxims for those wishing to be a painter.
Ten rules for him who wishes to be a painter
- Painter, it is better to be rich than poor; so learn how to make gold and precious stones come out of your brush.
- Don't be afraid of perfection: you'll never attain it!
- Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
- Don't throw to the dogs either your eye or your hand or your brain, for you will need them all if you are to be a painter.
- If you are one of those who believe that modern art has surpassed Vermeer and Raphael, don't read this book, just go right on in your blissful idiocy.
- Don't vomit on your picture, because it is the picture which can vomit on you after you are dead.
- No lazy masterpieces!
- Painter, paint!
- Painter, don't drink alcohol, and chew hashish only five times in your life.
- If painting doesn't love you, all your love for her will be unavailing.